Happy New Year to all of you! A very warm welcome to 2018.
How are you guys doing? I hope you all had a delightful new year and I know we all are excited to begin this year with a different set of ideas, goals and even perspective. One of the main reasons many people quit goal setting is because they fear they will not be able to accomplish them and get disappointed.
Like I mentioned in my previous article about mindfulness, to be in the present and not think about the past or worry about the future. Because, present my friend, is right here and right now with you and nobody can take that from you. So why don’t you make use of this whole year and make it YOUR year, worthwhile remembering. Let us go through some expert advice and suggestions in preparing our selves to face this year with more authenticity.
MAKING STRESS YOUR FRIEND! – A DIFFERENT APPROACH- WITH DR. KELLY MCGONIGAL.
Dr. Kelly McGonigal a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University, is known for her work in the field of ‘science help ‘thus assisting others in achieving personal goals despite inner conflict.
Her most recent book, The Willpower Instinct, explores the latest research on motivation, temptation and procrastination, as well as what it takes to transform habits, persevere at challenges and make a successful change.
She admits that she has often taken stress to be the “enemy” and advised people that it was bad for their health until she came across a study of 8 years which showed that 43% of people with high amount of stress, who believed that stress was harmful for them were having a higher risk of dying faster than those who didn’t. this got her wondering, can changing how you think about stress make you healthier? Science says yes. When you change your mind about stress, you can definitely change the body about stress. Kelly urges us to see stress as a positive, and introduces us to an unsung mechanism for stress reduction.
Do watch her inspiring video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGyVTAoXEU
“the ability to do what you really want to do when part of you really doesn’t want to do it.”
~ Kelly McGonigal- Author of Willpower & The Upside of Stress ~
SELF-CARE IS REVOLUTIONARY- MEGAN MCCORMICK
It’s not selfish or indulgent to be involved in self-care, Megan argues. it is necessary to take care of yourself. Revolutionary is an active and fundamental shift to power. Self-care is shift in power from institution, from other people to the individual. Other people in our life. Which is why it being revolutionary. Which is why she finds it to be revolutionary.
Taking time that is not under your to-do list is powerful in taking care of yourself. It is an absolute revolution of self-care
Megan is a senior Communication major from Chicago, IL. She is incredibly passionate about social justice, leadership development, college access, and prison reform and will be returning to the city next year to work with Chicago’s young people.
MEGHAN’S 3 SELF-CARE TIPS THAT SHE ADVISES US TO FOLLOW AS WELL
1.Eliminating Self- Talk. We often indulge ourselves in shame and guilt for everything that we do. The less shameful, a lot better
2.Self-Care Rituals -for practicing self-care such as writing, spending time with community and socializing.
3.Choosing optimism. 24 hours of every day lots of things to pick out each day as she believes every human is a ball of untapped potential. This is what choosing optimism. You choose your happiness.
“My vision is to see young people are empowered to practice self-care. To be fluent in a language of self before they learn a foreign language”
~ Megan Mccormick – senior Communication major & activist~
The past year has been really challenging for me. I admit I let myself get drowned under loads of work and busy routines that I actually ‘forgot’ to live in the moment, to practice self-care. No wonder we often hear people how fast the year has passed by with some sort of negative attitude!
So I have decided to spend this year with few minute yet important changes. Let’s take a look shall we?
SETTING GOALS FOR 2018- WITH ME
- Journaling– I can’t stress enough (hey didn’t we make stress our new friend?) to talk about journaling with anyone I come across. Do not be overwhelmed by it. Any book that we use to write important stuff like our budgets, to-do lists, planners or even notes is nothing but a journal itself! It is not impossible neither is it insignificant for you to not notice it. Let’s face it. As humans, we are always thinking and there are millions of things in our head that we find it difficult to remember or even organize it. But if you pen it down and prioritize it, it not only gives you a clear picture of your goals and tasks but it gives it more clarity, more definition and much more motivation to do it! the writer in me reaches out to you with a book and pen and a gentle push to do it!
You can have a look at more inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram for the type of journal you want to maintain. Pretty simple isn’t it?
“In the journal I do not just express myself more openly than I could to any person; I create myself.”
~ Susan Sontag- American writer, filmmaker & teacher~
- Self care– I mean real self-care. Not just the fancy manicure or the lavish shoe-shopping but goals regarding your health in all aspects – physical, mental, spiritual and even emotional levels. With the help of journaling, therapy, mindfulness and proper diet and exercise, we can transform to a better today than we were yesterday.
- Decluttering– some people like to hoard things while some are happy with the limited amount of things that they possess. I am not telling you to empty your house of everything. In fact, I am advising you to keep only what you will most likely keep and use. De-clutter your emails, your workplace, your wardrobe and every single thing related to you that you don’t feel connected to anymore. You will notice the difference and feel lighter. I did!
- Value your money– admit it, we all need finances to run our expenses and to buy good things for ourselves as well as for others. Clear your debts, maintain a savings account, invest in quality stuff more than quantity and look for ways to save money that will come in handy in the rainy days.
- Knowledge is power– it’s not just your study books but your skills that you need to work on. Age doesn’t matter as it is never too late to learn something. Invest in new skills and work experiences. It will greatly benefit you in the long run.
- Removing negativity– I have observed from my personal experience, that the more you stay away from negative sources be it people, TV shows, influences that tend to harm your peace of mind, the more positive you feel on the inside.
- Realistic Goals– there is no point of keep a list of goals that you cannot or will not follow! With the help of your new planner, you can keep track of goals that are achievable and fits your life-style. And of course that are important for you. Stick to these goals and you will be proud of yourself once you achieve them.
- Live in the moment– attend parties, go out and shop for yourself, watch a movie alone, travel and do all those crazy things you wanted to do but didn’t do yet.
“a goal without a plan is just a wish.”
~ Antoine de Saint Exupéry- French writer,poet & aviator~
MAKE IT YOUR YEAR-2018 IS ALL YOURS
Now that we have already entered through the gates of 2018 world, let us promise to ourselves to make each and every minute count. Do not worry if you fail in some goals, at least you will know that you have tried and you will also know that you can do it again! Like they say, we get only one life to live so let us all live it fully and beautifully.
I am ready for this journey, care to join me?
Keep shining bright like you always do! And let me know how it goes in the comments below!
PLQ Inspirational Blogger and Survivor